Since posting the article, a lot of new information has surfaced. Just scroll to the bottom and read my final update. Please help us spread the word, because this woman is dangerous, and the community needs to know what is lurking among them. Click here. Related
Make sure you guys are staying up to date! We have a few more authors to get excited about!
Also, if you haven’t joined our group yet, you should do so. We haven’t used the group much, but we plan to in the coming months to help organize and to possibly get some more ideas.
Make sure you guys are getting your fans and readers pumped. It’s going to be an amazing time, and they should all be there. We will be promoting, but we definitely need your help, and the help of your teams.
As always, thank you all so much for being a part of this.
Authors and PA’s – This one might sting.
I have seen an increasingly amount of posts over the last few days, directly involving the Author/PA pay rates and the choices that PA’s and Authors make when employing one. I have said it before and I’ll say it again, THIS HAS TO STOP!
- Does it matter? – This only matters to a paid PA if, and only if, they are being replaced by a PA willing to work for substantially less. If you are a PAID PA – Congratulations. This doesn’t give you the right to tell another PA that they should be making money.
- Authors – You should know better than to assume every author should pay a PA. Seriously? This is the worst monetary paying profession on the planet! Prostitutes and strippers make more than we do. How can you decide that a PA MUST be paid?
- PA’s – If you want to work for FREE, by all means, DO! If you want to be paid for your services, by all means, DO! Neither way is wrong and there is no-one telling you that you SHOULDN’T be getting paid, right?! So, where do some PA’s get off telling others that they are wrong.
- Let’s be honest – MOST PA’s WORK FOR FREE! This isn’t a secret. Stop making the industry impossible for people to find a PA, hire a PA and keep a PA based on the stigmas that ALL PA’s NEED TO BE PAID! Some want to see a author succeed, some want to do it for experience and some love their job. Don’t ruin it for those PA’s.
I am sure that you are all asking yourself one simple question – Why would this author care if PA’s are paid or not?
- I am a PA first. I work my ass off, doing everything that I can to ensure MY author has an easier life outside of writing. I set up events, schedule takeovers, manage blog posts, make teasers, pimp, manage street teams, giveaways, pages, groups… name it and I do it. I am available 24/7/365 days a year. Never a day off and always there. Is that my choice? You bet it is, but it is the job I signed up for. Do I get paid? Does it matter? How does my payment affect another PA or author? It doesn’t.
- I employ 2 PA’s. Neither of them give a shit if I pay them or not, AGAIN – Does it affect you? Nope. Not unless you want to employ my PA, then it affects me.
- I take my job VERY seriously. I watch as PA’s author-jump, take on too many authors and abandon their role for whatever reason. I sit back, watch and clean up the mess. Why? Because your author asked me to and it is the right thing to do.
All these posts are doing are creating an unrealistic view of what a PA should be making. Every PA starts out being paid in swag or books, it’s a learning curve that is not an easy one to overcome. Many can’t cut it as a PA. If you are paid, great! Just keep in mind, when you start bad mouthing PA payments and Authors that can’t afford them, you are creating a shit storm outside of your post that is negatively impacting the other peers and friends that you may have in the community.
By Kyle Perkins *This article can work for anyone, but I will be primarily talking to authors here.* With most indie authors, I would say it’s safe to assume that writing is not their sole income. If anything, any income made from writing probably goes into either more advertising and promotion, or is used as […]
***This article is a collaborative effort from multiple sources, some of which choose to remain anonymous for fear of retaliation. If you have an experience to contribute, please do not hesitate to contact me and I will update my article.*** You all know how I feel about catfishing accounts, and some have said without reason. […]
Well, this is going to piss off a few people but now I am affected by the bitterness and unprofessional actions of others we have considered members of our community.
I can’t believe that this is what I get for trying to help a member of the indie world that was desperate enough to reach out after a blog post that I wrote. It’s sad that I’m having to deal with the backlash from the negative views of others and the angry friends that they share. Rumors are wrong only because my comments were deleted and I was blocked. I’m sharing them because it’s not my fault that I was asked to help.
I am going to start with the facts in this matter,
A review was left for my book Vindicate. Coincidentally on the same day I chose to speak up against a few individuals – Karen Jurgenson and Kate Stone. *pics from comments on their walls*
1) Look at my “Yawn” review. Happens to be posted by a person with a chip on their shoulder. As you can see, the same reviewer posted on the same day that an Author, J.J. Melvin, had an altercation with a PA, Karen Jurgenson PA. I will go in to more detail on this as we go. I did some research and found that I may not know the person that posted it, because they are a coward and uses ‘Kindle Customer’ as a review name, but…. There are more reviews posted by the same person. One in which directly mentions the lack of support they were willing to give (same day as mine) because the indie community “knows why.” Do you know why? I do… I will get to that.
This one was left for JJ Melvins book.
Later in the review leaving, I stumbled upon a review for another book. The author, Luke, had no problem calling out his reviewer by name, Lucy Sparks. *see pics*
Same reviewer, no purchase, same bullshit review for a non-book related reason.
2) Last week I was approached by an author, JJ Melvin, that was concerned with the support she was receiving from a PAID marketing and promoting PA, Karen Jurgeson PA. She expressed her concern for the lack of work that she had paid for. For those of you that know me, I am incapable of denying a person in need of help. So, I asked for the background and the agreement. I have received what I needed between the Author and the PA. My suggestions were to reevaluate her PA decisions following the 9 day term set between the Author and the PAID PA. I even found her someone that has been successful with other authors in the indie community.
This is where it gets fun!!
The PA refused to contact the Author in regards to the marketing strategy nor could she provide receipts or supporting documentation for the services she claimed to have rendered resulting in the Author taking other actions against the PA. As you can imagine the PA chose to blast the author on social media rather than talking like adults and coming to a resolution. This had a negative reaction from PA’s, authors and bloggers. This is where Kate Stone and Lucy Sparks are involved, only helping to prove Luke’s comment on the review just might be more accurate than I thought.
Bloggers posted on social media their outrage against This author and directly allowed posting about ‘blacklist’ group. My name had already been mentioned in these comments. *see pics*
Did I mention there was a NDA in place? Oh… yeah. There is and now the PA is trying to cover her ass by deleting all of the negative posts and slandering comments made against the Author. But, this is Facebook and I have learned that there is always a screenshot.
3) Did you know there is an Indie Black List? Apparently you can be nominated in to this list and be smeared within this particular group of select individuals. There is enough info for this one in the screenshots. Go crazy trying to figure that out. Some are against it and some support the hell out of it. I guess I made that list when Vindicate got slapped with a “honest” review.
I will apologize for not blacking names, but I wanted make sure there no question as to who and where these comments were taking place. Entire stories important.
I shouldn’t need to do this because at the time it didn’t have anything to do with me. THEY DID THIS, NOT ME. I didn’t ask for this, I only did what anyone else should have done… Helped.